A positron emission tomography (PET) scan is an imaging test that targets changes in the tissues’ metabolic and biochemical functions. The machine detects the particles emitted from the substance known as positrons. Positrons are radioactive substances that are not commonly found in the body.
But because of the underground abnormalities in the body, positrons get activated. Pet scans detect these particles and help in finding the underlying cause. But there are some steps that you need to follow before undergoing the pet scan.
- The doctors must be informed about the pregnancy details of the patient.
- Doctors and lab technicians must be aware of the allergy regarding any medicine.
- Outpatients must bring their details of the current prescriptions
- Valuables should be kept with the relatives or at the hospital security locker.
Things To Consider for Pet Scan Cancer Diagnostic
Generally, it takes two hours to complete the PET scan. But it may vary according to the conditions. The technician will ask you to hold your breath and keep yourself in a comfortable position.
This is the moment where you can ask any queries regarding your procedure from the technician. The CT Scan centres in Bangalore ensure you follow all the rules for better diagnostic results. technicians also make sure to clear all your queries regarding your scan procedure.
The diagnostic center makes rules to help you carry out the best scanning process for accurate results.
- Make sure you do not take carbohydrate-rich diets 24 hours before the PET scan procedure. This will hamper the results of the pet scan.
- You must not eat or drink anything six hours before the scanning process. Water is the only exception drink that you can take. And try to take ample amounts of it for the best results.
- Traditional medicines can be taken on time as told. In the case of a diabetic, try to take it four hours before the process.
- Try to contact the center 30 minutes prior to the test
- Make sure you verify your identity with your lab technicians
- Fill out your form on time with all the details correctly.
- Doctors may also advise you to take another test to rule out further queries before injecting the injectables for pet scanning.
- The contract is injected into the patient’s vein, highlighting the body parts that need to be examined.
Precautions Need To Be Taken After The Test
Well, we understand how it feels to go through the scanning. Some people found it difficult to go through the process without getting nervous. But don’t worry; lab technicians are always there to help you during the scanning process and remove all your fears.
But what about the aftermath of the scan? Everyone knows what to do before the procedure, but no one is there to help you afterward the scaling procedure here are some tips for you that will help you to soothe your nerves after the scanning.
After the procedure, a patient must drink a minimum of five glasses of water. If you are in your post-maternal period, you should restrain yourself from breastfeeding your baby for 24 hours after the test.
If you are feeling any signs of discomfort like dizziness, nausea, sneezing, vomiting, tremors, etc., you must report them immediately to the doctors or the technicians. Any inconvenience could be a sign of big issues. So it is good to talk to the doctors clearly about such signs.
When it comes to the use of the PET scan is very useful in determining cancerous cells and other abnormal growth in the body. It also helps determine the cancer cells’ stages, which is a great getaway in treating disease. The pet scan could also determine any artery disease as the injectables can easily get along with the blood in the arteries. It can also find the flow rate inside the arteries, which is a great way to find any abnormality in the walls of the vessels.
Neurological diseases like Alzheimer, Parkinson’s, and many more can also be detected from the PET scan. Well, this is not it. There are numerous benefits of the PET scan which cannot be listed below because it covers a wide range of medical fields. But before anything else, make sure you get your PET scan from a certified laboratory and diagnostic center.
This article mentions certain rules that must be followed to get the best diagnostic results. PET scanning is a great way to detect the underlying abnormality with these simple and easy steps. Follow all the steps calmly and patiently to get the best results.